Welcoming Avery!

This blog will chronicle our final days waiting for our match and our trip to China to bring Avery home.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Leaving for China in two days!!

We have been fortunate (from our perspective-the rest of the United States doesn't see it this way, I'm sure) to have experienced a huge winter storm that has closed down all of the city for the last two days. This was great timing for me, as it allowed me two extra days to pack, finish up loose ends at work, and spend extra time with my family.  The reason these two days were so critical is that our travel departure date was moved up by three weeks.  We were told that our departure date would be Feb. 24, but then our agency called us last Wednesday and said there was a possibility that we could get an earlier CA (Consulate Appointment for those not familiar with the Chinese adoption lingo) and could we be ready to depart Feb. 4th instead if the appointment could be changed?  Of course we said yes even though this meant completely rearranging the lives of my whole family, my travel companion, and my parents who will be taking care of our two year old twins while we are gone.  On Thursday afternoon we learned we were able to get the earlier appointment, and thus began the 90 mile an hour preparation tour through work, Walgreens, Target, home to pack, etc.
Packing is a trick. I am notorious for packing light.  Three years ago I traveled to England for 8 days, including three days of a professional conference, in just a backpack.   Even I was struggling with this task, though, as the challenge was to pack for 15 days, two different climates, a baby for whom I am not 100% sure of her size, a giant pharmacy of medications for possible issues little Avery may have and for issues Anya and I may get, comfort food for picky eaters as well as clothes for Anya and I.  Challenge accepted! I was able to fit it all into 3, carry-on suitcases. We will also take a backpack with us that is currently nearly empty to fill with our purchases when we are there.  Whether or not my packing is successful remains to be seen-stay tuned.
Here is our itinerary for interested parties:
2/4-2/6:  Fly to Chicago, then Seoul, then Hong Kong.
2/7: Free day to explore Hong Kong
2/8 Fly to Nanchang
2/9 Receive Avery!!!
2/10 - 2/13 Stay in Nanchang filling out paperwork, touring, and best of all getting to know our new little daughter
2/14 Fly to Guangzhou
2/15-2/18  Stay in Guangzhou for physical, visa processing, Consulate appointment, and touring
2/19:  Fly from Guangzhou to Seoul, to Chicago, and then back home!

Hopefully the next post will be from Hong Kong!  I can't wait. . .

3 comments:

  1. I can appreciate how valuable those extra days are for you. I'm also a notoriously light packer, so I get it; it's almost stressful having to fill the suitcase and then worry about all of that stuff getting there when you do!

    Good luck,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruby! I always feel burdened by extra things to manage-people I can handle; things I cannot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie~ WQW! WOW! WOW! Thank you for sharing with us your journey--physical and metaphorical. I know what a long wait it has been..I recall hearing about and anticipating Ms. Avery since I've known you! Once again, its been way too long, but know you are in my thoughts. Safe travels, friend! <3

    ReplyDelete